Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Still a librarian

 I thought I would start a new blog after the previous one, called The Language Librarian Oxford.

I am no longer a language librarian (though still learning language when I find the time...) but still a librarian.

I went briefly into FE in London and absolutely loved the experience, however it was not to be.... as 1) it was in London and I'm attached to this damp piece of land called Oxfordshire 2) it was a temporary contract

It's a very different role here compared with Oxford, involving regular "traditional" help for readers: referencing, study skills, database searches etc... 

There is, however, something similar to the Language Centre at Oxford University (what's the point of adding an hyperlink, there is no longer a library there, boohoo)... when I arrived the library had been more or less abandoned, on a cataloguing point of view. But contrary to Oxford University where you need to have a "shut up and take it" approach to a library system, I was able to chose the system myself. 

It was highly praised by the librarian at St Hilda's College (now retired) and, after a little "tour" of library system available, I chose the same, that is: Heritage Cirqa

I really like it because it is pretty much like a lego game: you only use what you want to use and can really tailor it to your library. Having said that, I'm not there yet but I'm getting better.

I've just done the Heritage Circa Flagship programme and I wish I could say it was easy but it wasn't, still I feel more confident now to change things to that the system evolves round the library rather than the other way round. 

Anyway, must go now, a small group of students has just arrived in the library!


No comments:

Post a Comment