Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Doing the stocktake (oh yeah)

 As it is exam week and almost no one uses the library right now, I have started the stocktake.

I fully understand what it means to have a "stable" stock... mine is so unstable it crumbles... a good occasion though to clear up some wrong shelfmarks, and also, quite simply to check the shelfmark is the same as the classmark! 

As I'm still pretty "new" to the job (about one year in) it's also a great occasion to see the stock in details and I am amazed at discovering books I thought we did not have anymore, or we did not have at all. This helps me then when I give students recommendation for this and that book. 

As there is so much to be done still, I am doing one mini-stocktake at a time. This saves me:

Pain on my wrist

Stress for wanting to finish a very long section

and yes, there are still students demanding help and this is my main duty!

It's really working well, I'm scanning barcodes directly into Heritage stocktake thingie, and it tells me if it is outside the section, or if it does not recognise the barcode. I set these books apart and sort them out later. After searching for missing books, I ask the system to change their status to missing, and get a list, and do not delete this data. You never know... some books might come back, either misplaced on another shelf or returned before the summer. I have sent an email to all the full time students, so there's some hope there!


 

                                    "Library 1" by vastateparksstaff is licensed under CC BY 2.0

(I choose this photo because this is how my books look like on the shelves after the stocktake, still a long way to go but getting there!)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment