Monday, May 9, 2022

Preparing for a stocktake

 Not the first time I do this but I do admit it's been a while, and it was also, another system. I just went to my training online so hopefully writing this post will help me remember!

I remember last time I did a stocktake, what was really the issue was the lack of preparation. There was so much time wasted almost about records not well catalogued, not well placed on the shelves, issues with the shelfmarks etc...

There will be of course, such issues arising here but my main goal is to assess how many items have disappeared in this library, which was more or less abandonned for a few years. I inherited a catalogue which I corrected as much as possible by recataloguing the whole collection. But lack of time and the fact that some books returned were placed back onto the shelves without checking them, means there are surprises from time to time. And badly recatalogued items as well, it happens to the best (?) of us!

The key issue at the moment is that some items are showing on the catalogue but they are nowhere to be found. This stocktake will be helpful for a good clean up of this, so that what is showing on the catalogue is actually showing on the shelves. 

Ah great, Cirqa has just sent us a link if we want to rewatch the Webinar. Will do that. The wine I had for my birthday yesterday have somehow clouded the brain... 

They have also provided us with a check-up list, wonderful. The more prep you do, the more likely the stocktake goes your way!

For example I realise I have items that are in quarantine, some remain of the good old (horrible and new) covid days. These kind of stuff can be edited in advance 

Prep and testing as well... can you imagine scanning 100 books only to realise your scanner can't take it?!

"Scream" by Apionid is marked with CC BY-NC-ND 2.0.

 

  Right, now for another coffee and then let's rewatch this training before it is too late (...my brain collapsing completely, the video access expiry date, and... students and staff queries.)



No comments:

Post a Comment