Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Time for a clean up

 Time for a clean up of the library, though reshelving should be done not long before the stocktake I suppose as books have a tendency to move. I always insist with the students to leave the books on the tables, that saves a lot of trouble.

I have allocated a hell of a lot of time for this stock-take, from 25 July till 10 August, all this for...1,218 books to process. But if you include reshelving before hand and testing, it is not that long. Also, thinking that I will be doing this myself, I will not spend 8 hours a day on this. I like my wrists as they are and do not wish to injure myself. So that could be about 4 hours a day. Which seems reasonable as there will be students working on their dissertation in the library so I have to be there to... offer database search help, Harvard referencing or kleenex if needed for a cry session.  

One easy think to do right now is to check for weird accession status code, there are some that I normally never use or no longer use such as quarantined item, in circulation or processing. Spent a bit of time yesterday getting lost in Heritage Cirqa (I didn't feel like checking a guide and strongly believe there's a lot to win in getting lost, such as browsing a nicely catalogued catalogue rather than searching etc...) coz I knew I had items with this status but I did not know what items. Found it now. So I will locate the items in question and then probably spend some time understand how to change their status. I'll get there!

This could (almost) be an autoportrait: wise, calm, getting prepared





No comments:

Post a Comment