Thursday, July 7, 2022

Cracked it! Global change, global delete and command line report

 All at once! (after about 10 hours and two ibuprofen)

I really thought it was important to learn how to move readers up a year, and as the library is not quite for a school, I couldn't do this change (or maybe I could but found it rather terrifying). In any case, there are many levels and many different courses so it may have proven impossible.

I decided to work with saved lists but I didn't want to spend time adding reader one by one, so the best way was to retrieve information from command line report: information for each class' students. I saved everything in my reports which means next year it's not going to take me 10 hours!

I also tried, and succeeded at global delete: a class that finished in June and in which all students returned their books. Same again, I retrieve the information for each reader thanks to command line report, placed that saved list name in the global delete and voila! Magnifique non?

So far, I find it far too scary to use the criteria and rather work with saved lists. Having said that, perhaps I will need to use global delete from time to time, after trying it on the Test Database first. 

Sure I could have asked for help in the HeritageCirca community, but I really wanted to fully understand what I am doing, and in any case, I had a good look at the help provided before as well as several helpsheets (Command Line beginner and advanced, moving readers up a year, global change) and of course trying everything in the Test Database before-hand.

I'm really happy with command line report as I will continue learning how to use it in order to get precise information on what I really need. 

When I say cracked it of course I mean I have cracked it enough for what I wanted to do, that's the whole point.

Egg crack

Egg crack

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment